httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: APR: detached threads?
Date Sun, 06 Jun 1999 21:19:08 GMT
> Going by Ralf's explanation, OS/2 kernel threads are always detached. If
> there's a need for threads to be able to pass a return value back to their
> parents I can implement that in APR with an extra layer.

I have just started Windows programming, so I only really know Posix
threads.  If Os/2 (and windows?) threads are always detached, is it
possible for other threads in the same process to know when a certain
thread has exited?

It would be really nice to allow threads to return a value, so that we can
monitor why the thread has exited.  It is not absolutely necessary right
away.  If you have other parts of APR that need your attention more
urgently, I would suggest putting it off.  It won't be used in the first
apache-hybrid release anyway.  It should be done sometime though.

Ryan Bloom
4205 S Miami Blvd