httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: MPM code not disabling nagle?
Date Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:24:52 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Okay, I must have missed something somewhere.  I have just searched the
> apache-2.0/mpm tree, and the only reference to TCP_NODELAY I can find, is
> in test/test-writev.c.  We have removed the disable_nagle call altogether,
> and we do not set the socketopt inline.  Everything I have read about
> experienced about web servers, says that this option needs to be disabled.
> In the 1.3 tree, we were disabling nagle twice, once when we created the
> socket in the parent, and once in the child process. Now, we don't disable
> nagle at all.
> In the apr tree, Just for informational purposes, we removed the disable
> nagle call from the child process.  We were inheriting the socket, and all
> of the socket options should have bee retained when the socket was dupped.

TCP options aren't inherited across an accept() (IP options are, TCP
options aren't... dumb, but that's how it is).  It's always been pointless
to set it on the listening socket... I just never bothered pointing it
out.  So you need to add it back in your models...

If you look in prefork.c you'll see it's disabling nagle.

View raw message