httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: XML handling, step 2
Date Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:13:14 GMT
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Here is the next in the sequence of XML-handling patches for Apache.
> > This isn't a true patch (which needs to update Makefiles, etc). I'm
> > simply attaching the three new files that will be part of the patch.
>
> Will this require a major MMN bump?  (I.e., does it change any
> existing interfaces?)  Is there a greater-than-nil probability

No, it only adds new typedefs and functions. All are propery prefixed to
avoid conflicts with existing libraries.

> that it will destabilise the existing build process or server?

It is (functionally) a simple layer on top of the Expat library. It pulls
together Expat and some Apache interface functions, but does not rely on
any other platform-specific libraries (nor anything beyond Expat/Apache
for that matter).

> Will it cause either/both of the main 3P modules (PHP and Perl)
> to have to issue a new release in order to build with the base
> package?

No. This is new code that they don't currently use and could not conflict
with their build/execution. Expat(-lite) itself may have an issue, but
Rasmus' tests show that that does not seem to be the case.

> If the answer to any of these is "yes," then I'm -1 on this
> for pre-2.0..  otherwise I'm +1 on concept.

A fine position :-), but this is very safe stuff.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/