httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Zeev Suraski <bour...@netvision.net.il>
Subject Re: work in progress: mpm-3.tar.gz (fwd)
Date Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:48:31 GMT
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Zeev Suraski wrote:
> > It does affect us.  We change the configuration directives for the current
> > thread and expect them to take affect when the PHP callback is called;
> > Under these restrictions, we can't really do it.
>
> Eeep! But that's just a dodgy thing to do - you should set stuff under
> the current request or connection, not change configuration directives.
> Clearly, regardless of what is going on with threads, this technique
> would be safe. Can't remember if Apache provides appropriate hooks but
> if it doesn't it should.

With Apache's directives, we actually do set the configuration directives
in the special pointer given to us by Apache's configuration mechanism.
But since PHP 4.0 has a completely generalized configuration mechanism (we
don't support a limited set of directives, but any possible directive), we
have to use dynamic allocation.  And like any part of PHP, dynamic
allocation uses PHP's memory manager.  This memory manager uses globals,
which in thread safe mode are in TLS;  And there's your problem.

I'd suspend that discussion for now, though, until Dean's library is
mature enough to see whether we actually have a problem, and if we do end
up having a problem, see how we can solve it.

Zeev

Zeev Suraski <zeev@zend.com>
For a PGP public key, finger bourbon@netvision.net.il