httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/os/unix iol_socket.c iol_socket.h Makefile.tmpl
Date Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:44:46 GMT
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Chris Costello wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > You know, I really don't mean to troll, but aren't there are other C-like
> > languages that are really much better at this sort of thing? Perhaps this
> > is a good time to at least seriously think about C++ (or a small subset of
> > it), one more time. So much of the Apache API, past, present and future,
> > would benefit from having easily available inheritance and polymorphism
> > that I think it may very well be worth the hassle. Maybe.
>
>    With the overhead that comes with using C++, it would not be
> practical for something like the Apache HTTPd.

Um, no. The C++ language doesn't have any "overhead", regardless of how
stupid the code many programmers manage to create when faced with it (and,
to be honest, this is probably the language's fault). There are really
only two C++ features that cause runtime cost beyond what one might
naively assume based on the C analouges: polymorphism (virtual functions
and the like) and exceptions. Everything else that C++ does is entirely at
compile-time.

That said, I wasn't seriously suggesting that we switch to C++. In fact,
if you check the archives (vis. Dean), you'll find that each time this
discussion comes up, I'm usually on the C side. But I felt that, at the
least, some of Dean's recent work reminded me that we ought to at least
consider the question one more time.

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, both Netscape and Microsoft have web servers
written in C++. The main reasons not to use it are portability and
language/programmer idiocy, not efficiency.

P.P.S. Speaking of languages, last night I was pondering the content
module/cacheing model that I've harped on from time to time in the last
year or so, and I realized that at least partly, configuration of such a
best involves creating a list of content items (data stores, filters,
etc...) based on request parameters. And maybe it was just because it was
4:30 in the morning, but I started to seriously consider using Lisp as a
configuration language for Apache. Then I thought better of it and went to
sleep. Hmm.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>
Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <http://www.apache.org/> *