httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: new config API
Date Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:47:54 GMT
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 01:30:25AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > >
> > > This'll be quite useful for mostly static configs. It won't be useful
> > > for those sites using lots of dynamic DAV configuration. We could
> > > allow partitioning the config directive space, and have separate flags
> > > for each partition. Hmmm...
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean here. By dynamic do you mean
> > changing-frequently, or do you mean not-defined-in-a-config-file?
>
> Should've been clearer. I meant configuration that changes frequently.

I meant configuration from a database, like ldap. :)

> > Also,
> > I'm not sure what you mean by flags/partition. But of course... I'm sure
> > it all makes sense in your head, no need to go thru all the details as
> > long as it will work :-)
>
> We divide the space of all possible config directives into partitions.
> Maybe we could also devide based on the URI space, so that config
> directives for http://yakko.com/dot/ wouldn't affect
> http://yakko.com/wakko/. Then, we can ask the config system to tell us
> whether any configuration in a particular partition has changed. That
> way, we can separate out the config directives that won't change
> frequently from those that will.

This would also work for LDAP, it could be a partition.  Will there be a
back end API to plug in LDAP or database queries?  Or were you thinking 100%
file based?

I'm wondering if we really even want to abstract LDAP or database queries
though, since to do it right we would need a back end API.  I guess it would
be enough for a person to be abble write a mod_ldap that could add entries
to the configuration structures in the new config scheme.  That would
require exposure of the data types, or again an API. :/

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
Steam Tunnel Operations |  a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty