httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: new config API
Date Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:05:14 GMT
On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Tony Finch wrote:
> I think my question is, How do you balance dynamic configuration
> between once-at-startup and per-request?

A module could get the config from the API during initialization, or during
a request process.  I think the method would depend on the need of the
module author.

I would suggest that the config API have a call to check if any config info
has changed, or possibly register a callback.  A dynamic config API with a
standard way of change notification makes caching config info for
performance easier.  This is a good addition to apache IMHO.

Dynamic config protocols like LDAP will be a bit more difficult since
notification might not be possible in some cases.  For those cases the
module author will need to choose a policy on how dynamic config data is
treated.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
Steam Tunnel Operations |  a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty