httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Moving the mpm files from modules/mpm_whatever to modules/mpm/whatever
Date Fri, 25 Jun 1999 05:27:21 GMT
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Forget it. Just forget it. I said, and I'll repeat myself one more
> time, that the reason why is because of the ADDING CAPABILITY it
> provides would be reason. And whether we call it 1.3.7, 1.4.0
> or 4.5.32 it does change what the f*ck EAPI _is_ and _what it does_.
> So saying that we can add EAPI as long as we stay 1.3.7 because
> that means nothing major has changed and we're as safe as shit, but,
> by gum, we can't call ourselves 1.4.0 after adding EAPI because
> NOW we've introduced major concerns is bogus.

No, you are looking at my view backwards.

Is EAPI major enough to warrant going to 1.4?  I don't know.

If it is not, then it should either go or not go in 1.3.x depending on
what we want and 2.0 should be what we work at.

If it is major enough to warrent going to 1.4, then that implies that
there is some requirement for a significant beta cycle, etc.  If adding
EAPI requires such a thing (and traditional beta cycles have been at the
very minimum a few months) then maybe it is really a bit much to be adding
at this time.

So what I'm saying is that either it is big enough that it shouldn't go
into a near-term release (ie. 1.3.x or 1.4) or it is small enough that it
can, which means it is appropriate in a 1.3.x.