httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: In need of an NT version of 'ab'
Date Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:19:38 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 wrote:
> ( Note: 'Official' Apache for Win32 is NOT compiled
> using DJGPP. They use MSVC for the Win32 version ).

Can you give any info as to whether this DJGPP-compiled version actually

At USENIX I heard a presentation from the guy who did the Win32 port of
the CODA filesystem driver.  Well, actually, he decided that due to
Win32's design, that would be impossible to do (he has a userland cache
manager, and something about the way win32 calls were single-threaded and
couldn't call back up from the kernel without causing deadlock) he instead
used DJGPP and built it as essentially a 32-bit DOS app.  (!!!)  He said
his team needed to write a socket and memory management library for DJGPP,
but that otherwise, there was very little change from the standard UNIX
code, and it ran like a champ.

The URL for it is at, but
unfortunately you need a USENIX member password to view it.

So overall I'm curious as to whether Apache compiled by DJGPP actually
compiles and runs, what "fork" means in that kind of environment, etc...

View raw message