httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Moving the mpm files from modules/mpm_whatever to modules/mpm/whatever
Date Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:25:25 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Randy Terbush wrote:
> >
> > Can we consider making this a 1.4 branch decision?
> >
> > We are seriously abusing the "stable software" idea between minor
> > version changes. If we are going to make these kinds of sweeping
> > changes, I would like to know that we are making a decision to do 1.4
> > or 2.0 or something other than 1.3.383203838.
> >

> I'm all for that. I think that we could be justified in calling
> what we have now 1.4.0. Agreed that this is more a "feature" than
> a bug fix, although hard-coding directory depth was a bad idea
> using 20-20 hindsight.

Do not do 1.4.0.  Do not.  Do not.  Do not.

There is no sense in it.  There is no new and great quantities of untested
code that will break things going into the server.  If there were changes
of a nature that would dictate going to 1.4.x, then it would require a
fair amount of development time between the last 1.3.x release and 1.4.x,
a fair number of 1.4 betas, etc.  I don't see that here.  Doing 1.4.0 for
no good reason will either be a farce or just delay everything further.

We had this same thing with 1.3.  The same thing with 1.2.  etc.