httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Office 2000 Compatibility
Date Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:26:06 GMT

So, does anyone know what the deal is w/r/t Office 2000 support?  I seem
to recall that DAV was the protocol O2K was going to use to do its remote
publishing, but weren't some details changed at the last minute?  Greg,
what's the status of mod_dav?

I'd really like to get some sort of "statement" we can put on the site
about this, as I've gotten several inquiries about this, like the one

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:49:39 -0600
From: nikg <>
Subject: Office 2000 Compatibility

I have my own consulting company and one of the things I have been doing
is Web Development and Web Hosting using Apache and different flavors of
Unix. Recently with the release of Microsoft Office 2000 many of my
clients are requesting to be able to use it's web features. Ex:
Publishing Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents directly onto the Web

At the present time if you want to use those features you must be
running Microsoft's IIS Web Server and using Internet Explorer. Do you
think there is any way that Apache running on a Unix platform would
sometime soon have the capability to publish those documents submitted
by Office 2000 users? I truly believe that Apache running on Unix is the
Web Server of choice and I have implemented it at over 250 client sites
but 100% of my business clients use Microsoft Office, if they all
upgrade to Office 2000 (which they definitely will do) then I will have
a problem.

Any response would be much appreciated.

View raw message