httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/os/unix iol_socket.c iol_socket.h Makefile.tmpl
Date Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:54:06 GMT
Chris Costello wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > You know, I really don't mean to troll, but aren't there are other C-like
> > languages that are really much better at this sort of thing? Perhaps this
> > is a good time to at least seriously think about C++ (or a small subset of
> > it), one more time. So much of the Apache API, past, present and future,
> > would benefit from having easily available inheritance and polymorphism
> > that I think it may very well be worth the hassle. Maybe.
>
>    With the overhead that comes with using C++, it would not be
> practical for something like the Apache HTTPd.

What overhead are you referring to? It is possible to write very
efficient (in term of space and execution time) C++ programs. You need
to have a good understanding of how some of the nifty C++ features are
translated into the executable code. C++ is not an easy language to grok
to the fullest.

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com