httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Moving the mpm files from modules/mpm_whatever to modules/mpm/whatever
Date Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:12:09 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Randy Terbush wrote:
> >
> > Can we consider making this a 1.4 branch decision?
> >
> > We are seriously abusing the "stable software" idea between minor
> > version changes. If we are going to make these kinds of sweeping
> > changes, I would like to know that we are making a decision to do 1.4
> > or 2.0 or something other than 1.3.383203838.

I agree.

> I'm all for that. I think that we could be justified in calling
> what we have now 1.4.0. Agreed that this is more a "feature" than
> a bug fix, although hard-coding directory depth was a bad idea
> using 20-20 hindsight.

I don't want to do a 1.4.0, because that will embroil us in
a beta cycle and 1.4.* updates.  I want to do a 1.3.7 and
then focus primary development on 2.0 (MPM, hybrid, whatever).

> If EAPI is added, then I think that 1.4.0 is required.

On what grounds?  If it doesn't break our hairiest 3P modules,
it can't be that bad, eh?

> I defer to Ken regarding this with 1.x tree.

I personally don't want the 1.3 build process futzed.  Fix
bugs in 1.3.7, but save improvements for 2.0.

What we appear to have here is a classic case of creeping
featurism.. :-(  I was as bad as anyone for doing this in
1.2 and 1.3.0, but 2.0 was a pipe-dream then and it looked
like the only way to get code in.  Now 2.0 is tantalisingly
near, and I'd like to see development shifted in that direction
rather than new-and-improving the 1.3 series.  Just MHO.
--
#ken    P-)}