httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support suexec.c
Date Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:03:43 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> Does the policy state that a change in sizeof(server_rec) implies a major
> bump?

Nope.  Inserting elements into the middle does, though.
Stuff at the end (as we've done numerous times with the
module structure) is just a minor bump.

> Strictly speaking, a change in sizeof can cause a binary incompatibility.

It shouldn't.  No module should be trying to make copies of the
structure, and so the sizeof() shouldn't matter.  There are
fields in there that are private to the core and therefore
have unpublished duplication semantics; if a module assumes
it can just do a memcpy() it's broken.
--
#ken    P-)}