httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: new config API
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:03:36 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 02:11:26PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > I'm not sure if you thought about it: but will the API allow modules to
> > change the values? Also, assuming a module changes a value, will it be
> > persisted between invocations of Apache? (I believe you could read/write
> > XML for the config stuff quite easily)
>
> Hmmm. Sure, the API could allow it. It might have to be an
> optionally-supported feature, though. Would it be an undue hardship to
> require the 1.3 backwards-compatibility module to support changing the
> 1.3 config file?

Personally, I'm happy with telling people to update their config file
format if they want the dynamic-changing feature :-). But yah... that
doesn't normally fly. I'd say it's fine to require the module, and it
could even be in there by default.

> This all can get hairy when we start talking about an httpd.conf along
> with other "Include"d files, .htaccesses, <Directory> vs. <Location>
> containers, etc.

True.

Although the output would probably be a single file. You could just
output changed information. On restart, you'd read all the files, then
read the patch file.

The DAV ACL stuff is a ways off, but I'd gladly help with setting this
system up. It would be quite a difficult problem otherwise. I spoke with
Ken about dynamic security, and he mentioned he had a few thoughts, too.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/