httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: new config API
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:11:26 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> An idea I've been bouncing around in my head for a day or two which is
> definitely not completely thought out yet. The two goals are to
> further modularize the configuration system, and to allow dynamic
> configuration, e.g. through a named pipe, LDAP, or SNMP.

+1

The DAV ACL stuff will require dynamic reconfig of security params, so
moving to a system like this will be a huge boon.

I'm not sure if you thought about it: but will the API allow modules to
change the values? Also, assuming a module changes a value, will it be
persisted between invocations of Apache? (I believe you could read/write
XML for the config stuff quite easily)

Thought for the day: XML would be great for config, but it probably
won't as readable as the current format. I think XML would be best for
external tools to manipulate.

thx!
-g

--