httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Notes about APR's Autoconf stuff
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:14:59 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> That's why I'm still confused by the APR stuff. Because I still do not
> understand why it's both necessary to have subdirs for various platform
> flavors (except perhaps for the reason that different build mechanisms have to
> used: make vs.  a GUI-tool, etc) and specialized #defines for the platforms.
> Because when APR uses Autoconf (the correct way, of course) IMHO these things
> can be completely avoided.

The subdir thing has been in the back of my mind, too... It seems like
it will create a serious maintenance headache. If subdir A is a copy of
subdir B, with some tweaks to get it to work for platform A... then what
happens when you find a bug in B? Do you now have to go and replicate
that fix through all the other subdirs?

I do understand the need to just get everything written, but I would
hope there is a plan afoot to pull it all back together and base it on
feature tests rather than cut/paste copies of code.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/