httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Allow modules to add libraries
Date Sun, 06 Jun 1999 16:58:41 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> Hmmm... I've no great objection to Ben's patch and idea in general, except
> that it looks inconsistent. When we allow to adjust the libraries via "Libs:",
> we also should allow "CFlags:", "LdFlags:", etc. But this OTOH is not really
> necessary, because inside ConfigStart...ConfigEnd you're more flexible (you
> can expand variables, etc.). So I still don't see a great advantage from
> having "Libs:" in contrast to ``LIBS="$LIBS ..."''. Instead I've to conclude
> that just providing "Libs:" is only a half-way solution and will confuse
> people more than it provides advantages. Ben, where exactly is the benefit
> from using "Libs:" above a config section instead of changing LIBS in the
> config section itself? I guess I've overlooked an important intention here,
> right?

The important point is that changing LIBS= and other stuff requires
knowledge of the guts of the configuration process, whereas declaring it
with Libs: does not.

There are two obvious advantages to the declarative approach:

1. We restrict what is possible, which allows us greater room for
manoeuvre later.

2. We don't force ourselves to maintain a particular implementation for
Configure by forcing people to rely on the implementation.

I absolutely agree about the inconsistency, it is my fond hope that
having started the ball rolling with Libs: others will follow suit and
add the rest. For example, Greg as already expressed a desire for adding
rules. However, as a general point, it doesn't seem to me that one
should require the submitter of an improvement to also follow through
and provide every other related improvement.

Ideally, the need for ConfigStart/End should be eliminated entirely,
because, as far as I can see, it is, at best, a kludge, and at worst a
maintenance problem.

Cheers,

Ben.

--