httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Err... Expat and XML_BYTE_ORDER!
Date Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:04:17 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Err.. friends: I've recognized that for the expat-lite stuff no byte order
> determination was added to our Configure stuff.
> So, we've to add this byte order stuff or Expat will fail on some platforms,
> of course.

No... NOT of course.

That define is an optimization. The library works fine without it.

> The old way of James Clark (just saying in the Makefile the user
> should specify the byte odering) isn't acceptable, of ocurse.

Agreed.

> For details on how this can be achieved look at the AC_C_BIGENDIAN macro of
> Autoconf. In short: It checks some headers for endian macros and if all fails
> it compiles a little test program to find it out.
>
> Or can we fix this more easily?

The easy fix is to do exactly what I did: punt on trying to
automatically set the variable. The more optimal fix is what you
describe: have a #define which is set by the configuration process.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/