httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache memory problems
Date Wed, 02 Jun 1999 08:24:55 GMT
Keith Wannamaker wrote:

> You probably don't have to look much farther than any third-party modules you're
> using in the installation.  I would spend a lot more time scrutinizing their
> code than Apache's.

I have two installations doing this, one with a third party module, and
the other with no third party modules at all. Both systems suffer the
leak.

With a lot of prodding and poking, it seems that I have come to have a
sort-of understanding as to what's going on with my strange errors. The
sequence of events goes like this:

- Something breaks the "graceful child terminate" procedure, so
processes start getting stuck.

- Over time, Apache spawns new processes to do the work of the "stuck"
ones.

- Eventually, MaxClients is reached. Either just before this point, or
just after, I'm not sure at this stage, Apache starts leaking memory all
over the place, eventually leaking enough to swamp the box.

I have got Dean Gaudet's patch to try fix the stuck process problem, I'm
going to give it a try, and if it works I am going to grin broadly and
get myself some really strong coffee.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon