httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: poll by multiple threads at once
Date Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:38:45 GMT
On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 05:37:00PM -0500, Me at IO wrote:
> Hmmm, should accept even be unserialized in the 1 socket case? We
> still have the poll call (because of the pipe of death). We could
> still have 10 threads waiting in poll and getting woken up, 9 of them
> blocking on accept(). Then, we're relying on a single thread to catch
> a graceful restart message on the pipe of death, which could take a
> while. It's not catastrophic, but it is annoying. Hmmm...

Actually, it is catastrophic, because we then rely on those other 9
threads getting kicked out of accept at some point, before allowing
the process to die.

For now, I've just turned off accept serialization completely.

And, the queued model suffers from the same problem, as long as there
are multiple processes. blah.

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM, Apache Development