httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Rasins <sa...@dns.omniport.net>
Subject Re: The way forward: 1.3.7/1.4.0/2.0/2.1/hybrid/mpm/...
Date Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:17:24 GMT
Ken,

Thank you for a "stake in the ground".  Though I have only been lurking, I
see much turmoil these days and a firm stake can help move the project(s) along.

Now for the somewhat frivilous comment:

> Here are the suggestions:
>
> o Close up and release 1.3.7 as quickly as possible.

Yes!

> o Create a couple of sandbox modules with names unrelated to
>   any sort of release sequence; maybe a mineral and a vegetable
>   (apache-vinyl and apache-oak, possibly?); move the mpm stuff
>   into one of these.  Give these *different* CVS mailing lists,
>   or none at all.

I'd suggest Apache-type names ... like Apache-bow, Apache-arrow,
Apache-fire, Apache-teepee, etc.  :-)

> o Figure out what we want to do re the original plan to make the
>   hybrid the basis of 2.0, considering the recent mpm work.
> o Alexei pointed out that if we don't get a 2.0 out by this December,
>   we might as well not bother.  I think that's still reasonable;

In effect, the same thing!  It has been a long (overdue) time to get
a new release out.  All of the 1.3.X releases after 1.3.2 have been
more-or-less major bug fixes and feature-creep without a real plan ...
all because there was not supposed to be a 1.3 tree anyway.  The main
reason for 1.3 was Win32 support in the first place (at least that was
the plan at the time).  So, I'd suggest getting 1.3.7 out the door as
you have stated in the beginning of your e-mail ... then settle on the
plan for 2.0 (as you also stated) and get out of the quicksand!

Thank you for taking my ramblings with a grain of salt.

Regards,
Sambo	P-)
<Sambo@Caribe-Enterprises.com>

First Rule of History:
	History doesn't repeat itself -- historians merely repeat each other.

{NOTE: The [random] quote above was provided via the 'fortune' program.}