httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: standard virtual hosting.. how good?
Date Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:47:11 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Keeping it in for -t will screw up people with lots of vhosts as well --
> -t is used by apachectl before a restart.
>
> You argued something like "people won't notice the run-time errors" ...
> but like... if they're not looking in their logs for run-time errors, do
> we really care if they don't get a config-time error?  There are some
> errors we can only report at run-time.  Tough for them.

But not having -t do a basic config test as checking DocumentRoot
is totally bogus. So it's braindead to have -t not do the stat.
And my point wasn't so much that people won't notice the run time
errors. They will, eventually. My point was that previous versions
reported the error immediately when Apache was started.

I hope you really aren't proposing removing the stat with -t simply
because it means a delay when someone is using apachectl to
restart the server? If so then we're saying "instead of rec'ing
instant feedback that a DocumentRoot is bogus when you start
Apache and instead of running apache -t to do so to check the
DocumentRoot isn't bogus, the new procedure is to simply run
Apache and then immediately look at error_log". That's not tough
for them, thats stupid on our part.

Bogus DocumentRoots are a config-time error. It's easy to check
at config time, we've been checking it at config time and people
are most likely using it to check at config time. And we want
to stop that for what reason again?? Because they should be instead
looking in error_log and we don't _want_ to provide a real config-time
test??