httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: standard virtual hosting.. how good?
Date Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:01:23 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > >
> > > Why not just remove the stat() altogether?  Seems pointless to me... folks
> > > will get various file not found errors in the error_log anyhow if the
> > > docroot doesn't exist; or get ENOTDIR errors if the file isn't a
> > > directory.
> > >

> > I thought about that, but think that keeping it around makes sense
> > for some/most setups because:
> >
> >   1. Right now, if DocumementRoot doesn't exist they get an immediate
> >      notice of that when Apache starts. If we change it, then people
> >      will assume that all is well and not bother checking error_log
> >      until their customers complain. So for people who "depend"
> >      on the current behavior, we maintain it.
>
> I think this could be handled by being very clear about the behavior
> change in the CHANGES file.  This is pretty minor IMHO, and less
> disruptive than adding another config directive we'll need to support
> indefinitely.  =)

Whatever.

Why do we bother having stuff in STATUS and "voted" on and then
commited (with a note beforehand "if anyone has problems, let us know")
if a week or so later people will say "you know, we should just do
it differently." Isn't that what STATUS is for?

No matter what, the stat is useful for apache -t. If we want to drop
the directive and have it do the stat for -t then that's fine, but
it sure would be nice if these were brought up beforehand :)