httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Head's up
Date Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:46:37 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Just a head's up. I'm working on some improvements to the
> > Configure process and how it implements modules. Basically,
> > I'm looking at a technique that will allow almost anything to
> > be considered a "module" (such as the expat lib, for example).
> > Mainly it's for 2.0/apr but could be useful for 1.3.7/1.4.0
> > (although I wouldn't hold it for that). No matter what, it'll
> > be such that it extends what we have, not replaces it...
>
> Well... if it fits in with autoconf and can handle all the functionality
> of the old, then I'd say we torch the old. Why have two ways to do the
> same thing? Just adds to the overall complexity.
>
> Of course, we'd like third-party module to not require many changes, but
> I'll happily monkey with the expat-lite directory to conform to new stuff
> if we can simplify the configure/build process.

The idea is to have NO changes required.

The rub is that Configure "assumes" that modules are setup as

	modules/name/whatever.o

and only that deep. For 2.0 it would be nice to have

	modules/mpm/prefork/libmpm_prefork.a

and similar things. We could even make it generic enough so that
AddModule could be use to add regex or expat or anything else.
This sort of internal monkeying around may not be suited for
autoconf... I have no idea how autoconf can do the kind of Module
manipulation (including the run-time stuff) we're currently doing.