httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject Nasty mean evil ugly SIGALRM kills parent, leaving orphaned children
Date Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:39:00 GMT
  We have this bug involving Apache (1.3.5 and 1.3.6) on Mac OS X
Server in which the parent process seems to be going poof with no
apparent cause.  No message is being logged, and the children are not
being terminated.

  After setting a breakpoint in the kernel on exit_1(), we finally
got some data.  It appears that the parent is getting a SIGALRM,
which it hasn't registered for, and therefore the default action is
to go poof.  This is proving to be a hard bug to reproduce reliably,
so I don't have better info yet.  Tracing the evil sender of the
signal is a bit challenging.

  I'm betting that if there were some spurious alarm() calls in the
parent, that this would have been noticed on other platforms, so my
current guess is that there is some signal mangling going on in the
kernel that's causing this.  That said, I'm wondering if this sound
familiar to anyone (just in case), or if anyone has some good tricks
for me to try in debugging it.

	-Fred

--
       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD