httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src Configuration.mpm
Date Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:10:52 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Just a note -- the mpm_prefork module we currently use doesn't require any
> pthread support... the -pthread stuff is just there because I copied the
> Configure from apache-apr/pthread.

Actually, it does. There's some mutex stuff that caused the
symbol not found errors when doing the final link under FreeBSD.
I didn't even see the Linux stuff :)

> Those should be like module directories, such as modules/proxy/ ... and
> the mpm modules should include a configstart/end script which modifies the
> link parameters appropriately for what that mpm requires.  Such as adding
> pthread support.
>
> A new config directive, maybe mpm?  like so:
>
> # choose one, the default is one which is considered to have the best
> # feature/performance ratio for your platform
> mpm default
> #mpm prefork      # force the prefork, similar to apache-1.3, model
> #mpm mpmt
> #mpm pthread_ash
> #mpm sigwait
>
> I'd really appreciate it if one of the config gurus did that  :)  Thanks.

To simply have something to play around with, we could simply extend
the SUBDIRs or APLIBS method. No need to waste cycles on figuring the
"best" way to do it when it might change.

PS:  Having a simple file-based Configure method sure is useful :) :)
PPS: Sorry, couldn't resist ;)