httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: 2.0 Scoreboard (was Re: Management of thread pools)
Date Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:08:30 GMT
On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 02:08:21AM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> The thing I'm wondering about is how well the requests will balance
> across the processes... that should be an interesting problem.

With one thread per process accepting connections, and cross-process
serialization, requests tended to cluster in a single process in
Ryan's and my testing. Once we switched to the poll-accept model, we
had to add intraprocess mutexes. Then, it seemed that requests
clustered less, but it seemed to vary based on speed of incoming
connections. I have a feeling you'll be trying to eliminate mutexes
completely; I haven't tested the behavior in that situation yet.

"Tandems are good if you need hardware which sucks reliably, 24x365."
  -- Malcolm Ray.