httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Async server questions
Date Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:18:46 GMT
A couple of questions while I was pondering this async server stuff.

1. Why is a user thread or MxN thread system not a good enough
replacement for all of the poll-select-accept event looping? Is it the
extra RAM from thread stacks? Do user thread libraries typically limit
the number of threads available?

2. Which thread model? I can think of two: the Flash model with a
single event thread and lots of helper threads (like your earlier
select-thread-hybrid patch worked), and a Zeuslike model, but with
multiple event loop threads.

"You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then just a kind word."
  -- Marcus, B5