httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: standard virtual hosting.. how good?
Date Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:33:52 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Why not just remove the stat() altogether?  Seems pointless to me... folks
> will get various file not found errors in the error_log anyhow if the
> docroot doesn't exist; or get ENOTDIR errors if the file isn't a
> directory.

I thought about that, but think that keeping it around makes sense
for some/most setups because:

  1. Right now, if DocumementRoot doesn't exist they get an immediate
     notice of that when Apache starts. If we change it, then people
     will assume that all is well and not bother checking error_log
     until their customers complain. So for people who "depend"
     on the current behavior, we maintain it.
  2. Yet we provide a means to bypass it.

The disadvantage is another directive, but I think it's a useful
if guru-like one. Not as esoteric as SendBufferSize though :)