httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: VirtualHost directive and IPv6
Date Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:48:01 GMT
On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 04:14:22PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	It takes multiple "host" or "host:port" as argument.  However, as
> 	IPv6 address will be written as colon-separated hexadecimals,
> 	we cannot use "host:port" for IPv6 addresses (it is ambiguous).

That's exactly what I expected since I first heard that IPv6 uses
colons between its hex values. All applications which separate IP addresses
from other information by ':'s suffer from this problem, not just apache.

I wonder how the IPv6 people solved the ambiguity for the rest of the
IPv4 applications which "mis-" use the ':' ?!?!

For apache, I'd accept '@' or '/' or whatever, but the change should be
(for 1.3.7) only used for IPv6 addresses, to keep the compatibility for
the IPv4 customers.

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@MchP.Siemens.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021               |        Communication  Products