httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: VirtualHost directive and IPv6
Date Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:40:05 GMT
On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 04:14:22PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	I have some trouble about syntax of <VirtualHost> directive.
> 	It takes multiple "host" or "host:port" as argument.  However, as
> 	IPv6 address will be written as colon-separated hexadecimals,
> 	we cannot use "host:port" for IPv6 addresses (it is ambiguous).
[snip]
> 	I would like to know about your opinion on how I should update the
> 	syntax.  We have several choices here:
> 	- introduce new separater, like "host/port"
> 	- disable multiple "host:port" against VirtualHost directive,
> 	  and let the user <VirtualHost host port> syntax.
> 	- some others

The decision depends on which version you're aiming the patch for. For
a 1.3.7, I don't think any config file format changes would be
allowed. I don't know enough about the colon-separated form of IPv6
addresses; how many different fields are there?

This is a gross hack, but maybe you could count the number of fields
and determine the protocol version based on that?

10.1.2.3:80 = 2 fields => IPv4 with port
01:23:45:67:89:ab:cd:ef:80 = 9 fields => IPv6 with port
01:23:45:67:89:ab:cd:ef = 8 fields => IPv6 without port

Another way would be to prefix all IPv6 addresses with "IPv6:".

For a 2.0 release, anything is possible. I wouldn't disable multiple
"host:port"'s, though.

"Some people have entirely too much free time on their hands."
  - Gene Spafford (spaf)