httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: SSL mass-vhosting
Date Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:37:57 GMT
Tony Finch wrote:

> The other way it can happen is in the following configuration:
>
> 	UseCanonicalName On
> 	VirtualDocumentRoot /www/hosts/%0/docs
> 	<VirtualHost 111.22.33.44>
> 		ServerName foo.com
> 		# nothing else!
> 	</VirtualHost>
> 	<VirtualHost 111.22.33.45>
> 		ServerName bar.com
> 	</VirtualHost>
> 	<VirtualHost 111.22.33.46>
> 		ServerName baz.com
> 	</VirtualHost>
>
> I haven't mentioned this in my docs because I think it's dangerously
> obscure.

But very useful. And quick. In fact, I would wager that most
people who tend to use this. It provides an easy and set way to
layout user directories on the server, it has the speed and
backwards compatibility with old browsers (or when Host: is
too late), it avoids the DNS efficiency issue, and ensures that
their server name is used internally.

I would also expect that VirtualAlias will soon be added :)