httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Management of thread pools
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:24:11 GMT
There are a few ways I can think of so far if we want to allow each
child in the hybrid server to create and destroy threads on the fly:

1. Use the existing server-wide child shutdown pipe to also send
thread-create/thread-destroy messages. This will keep the level of
infrastrucuture in parent-child communication down, but for the
SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT case, every message on this pipe
wakes up every thread.

2. Create a pipe from the parent to each child. This will give
us fine control of how many threads each child had, but it is an
added pipe that has to be watched by each process, and (this is an
incredibly minor thing) we've limited our number of children to the
number of file descriptors allowed per-process.

3. Let each child manage its own thread pool, based on how busy it is,
without any guidance from the parent . This appeals to me, but I
shudder at what the behavior of the server might be with this change.

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM, Apache Development