httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Proposal: new config API
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:00:30 GMT
An idea I've been bouncing around in my head for a day or two which is
definitely not completely thought out yet. The two goals are to
further modularize the configuration system, and to allow dynamic
configuration, e.g. through a named pipe, LDAP, or SNMP.

First, we define our set of configuration parameters. This would
essentially include everything that's in there now, except for
containers, and other "metaconfiguration" options like AllowOverride
or anything else that is an option of the configuration system rather
than configuration of the server itself.  We'd have registration and
deregistration procedures for modules to add their own parameters.

Then, when something (core or modules) want to check a configuration
variable, they call, for example:

result = ap_get_config_param(pool/context, "DocumentRoot",
                             "http://dexter.com/deedee.html");

to get config parameters. The config module would always return the
most up-to-date answer. The thing using these config parameters would
know when it can handle a particular changed configuration parameter,
and only call the config module then; otherwise, a cached result would
be used.

Naturally, instead of passing a URI string, we could pass a pre-parsed
URI or a request_rec. Passing in the location in some form allows us
to get different results based on virtual host, directory, etc. Maybe
the function would return a scope indication as well, which would tell
us whether it applies to a particular virtual host or location, or if
it is completely generic.

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM, Apache Development