httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: new config API
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:48:41 GMT
On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 02:11:26PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> >
> > An idea I've been bouncing around in my head for a day or two which is
> > definitely not completely thought out yet. The two goals are to
> > further modularize the configuration system, and to allow dynamic
> > configuration, e.g. through a named pipe, LDAP, or SNMP.
>
> +1
>
> The DAV ACL stuff will require dynamic reconfig of security params, so
> moving to a system like this will be a huge boon.
>
> I'm not sure if you thought about it: but will the API allow modules to
> change the values? Also, assuming a module changes a value, will it be
> persisted between invocations of Apache? (I believe you could read/write
> XML for the config stuff quite easily)

Hmmm. Sure, the API could allow it. It might have to be an
optionally-supported feature, though. Would it be an undue hardship to
require the 1.3 backwards-compatibility module to support changing the
1.3 config file?

This all can get hairy when we start talking about an httpd.conf along
with other "Include"d files, .htaccesses, <Directory> vs. <Location>
containers, etc.

> Thought for the day: XML would be great for config, but it probably
> won't as readable as the current format. I think XML would be best for
> external tools to manipulate.

Agreed. I've been playing with the SOCKS libraries from Dante a bit
lately, and the file format it uses is nice, and not too much
different than that of Apache from what I can tell.

"You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then just a kind word."
  -- Marcus, B5