httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Notes about APR's Autoconf stuff
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:23:35 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Ralf, thank you for your suggestions.  Autoconf is a new tool for me.  I
> am planning on taking some time to really learn how to use it.  I have
> read your suggestions, and at some point, I will work on implementing
> them.

Another good way to learn autconf is to use a non-popular OS
and attempt to use autoconf/configure to build any package of
some complexity. You'll find out that it doesn't quite work that well,
and so you'll hack configure to work and then back-hack configure.in
to create the correct configure :) :)

And, of course, it's still strange that configure can still blow
up on shells with "small" input buffers ;)

PS: This is tongue-in-cheek. autoconf has a steep learning curve
    but if you stick with it, it solves 95% of your porting
    problems. That leaves you free to crack that remaining, bothersome
    5%