httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/apr/test testfile.c
Date Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:13:02 GMT
On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 13:24:05 -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>Brian Havard wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't go so far as to call it broken. It updates the directory with the
>> final result rather than all the intermediate ones. Sure it's nice to be able
>> to watch a file grow as it's written but it's rarely of critical importance.
>
>I agree that the directory on disk doesn't need to be updated,
>but surely you agree that the directory information cached in
>memory by the filesystem ought to be?

The directory information isn't 'cached' as you put it. It simply isn't
touched until the final result is known. I know this must sound backwards to
those of you with mainly unix background but in practice it's only a minor
inconvenience at worst.

This is actually an attribute of the file system driver rather than the OS
(in this case the HPFS driver). I have an OS/2 ext2 driver that behaves the
unix way, keeping the directory up to date at all times.

Ryan, I think you're going to have to take the FlushFileBuffers() call out of
the Win32 ap_write() if you want to see anything like decent performance. It
slows performance by several orders of magnitude.