httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Allow modules to add libraries
Date Sun, 06 Jun 1999 09:02:37 GMT

In article <3759810C.2A8CA75@lyra.org> you wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
>>
>> This teeny patch allows modules to add libraries (long promised in the
>> comments in Configure :-)... OK if I commit it?
>
> +1 (concept; see below)
>
> Cool idea. I currently use the following in my libdav.module file:
>
> Name: dav_module
> ConfigStart
>   LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lgdbm $LIBS"
>   RULE_EXPAT=yes
> ConfigEnd
>
> It would be much nicer to use your new format:
>
> Name: dav_module
> Libs: -L/usr/local/lib -lgdbm
> ConfigStart
>   RULE_EXPAT=yes
> ConfigEnd

Hmmm... I've no great objection to Ben's patch and idea in general, except
that it looks inconsistent. When we allow to adjust the libraries via "Libs:",
we also should allow "CFlags:", "LdFlags:", etc. But this OTOH is not really
necessary, because inside ConfigStart...ConfigEnd you're more flexible (you
can expand variables, etc.). So I still don't see a great advantage from
having "Libs:" in contrast to ``LIBS="$LIBS ..."''. Instead I've to conclude
that just providing "Libs:" is only a half-way solution and will confuse
people more than it provides advantages. Ben, where exactly is the benefit
from using "Libs:" above a config section instead of changing LIBS in the
config section itself? I guess I've overlooked an important intention here,
right?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com