httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Err... Expat and XML_BYTE_ORDER!
Date Wed, 02 Jun 1999 13:12:18 GMT

Err.. friends: I've recognized that for the expat-lite stuff no byte order
determination was added to our Configure stuff.

rse@en1:/e/apache/SRC/apache-1.3/src/lib/expat-lite
:> grep XML_BYTE_ORDER *.c
xmltok.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER == 12
xmltok.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER == 12
xmltok.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER != 21
xmltok.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER == 21
xmltok.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER == 21
xmltok.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER != 12
xmltok_ns.c:#if XML_BYTE_ORDER == 12
xmltok_ns.c:#elif XML_BYTE_ORDER == 21

So, we've to add this byte order stuff or Expat will fail on some platforms,
of course. The old way of James Clark (just saying in the Makefile the user
should specify the byte odering) isn't acceptable, of ocurse.

For details on how this can be achieved look at the AC_C_BIGENDIAN macro of
Autoconf. In short: It checks some headers for endian macros and if all fails
it compiles a little test program to find it out.

Or can we fix this more easily?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com