httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Hess" <sc...@avantgo.com>
Subject Re: cache GC check after fork patch
Date Fri, 04 Jun 1999 17:36:37 GMT
On June 4, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Scott Hess wrote:
> > While testing the graceful shutdown patch I posted yesterday, I also ran
> > across this one.  The ap_proxy_garbage_coll() function in proxy_cache.c
> > fork()s a child process, _then_ checks whether it's time to garbage
collect.
> > As far as I can currently tell, this means that a child is forked for
every
> > cachable request that comes in.
>
> By my reading, should_proxy_garbage_coll is called before forking... and
> the test you're suggesting is done in there -- although you did it a
> different way, so maybe it's just the logic in should_proxy_garbage_coll
> which is broken.

Excellent point!  I had made the fix in 1.3.4 (which we're still using for
whatever reason), then checked the current release before posting it - but I
was unfortunately checking the 1.3.6 release, rather than the preliminary
1.3.7 release.

> There is definately some bug with the 1.3.7 proxy -- graham eliminated
> his hanging troubles with 1.3.7-dev by using the 1.3.6 proxy code instead.

Any such bug is definitely not addressed by my change.

Thanks for your forbearance,
scott