httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Harris" <dhar...@drh.net>
Subject RE: standard virtual hosting.. how good?
Date Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:37:33 GMT

Tony Finch wrote:
> IP-based vhosts are looked up with a hash; Host:-header vhosts are
> looked up linearly.
>
> We have some machines with about 1000 <VirtualHost> configuration
> sections and one of the problems it the time it takes to parse the
> configuration file (but that's an old version of Apache & newer ones
> may be better). The other problem with using <VirtualHost> in our
> environment is the number of changes we get: with the mass vhosting
> stuff we can provision sites almost immediately without disrupting
> Apache.

I see your point about Apache parsing the configuration - I would really
hate to have a server that took, say, twenty seconds to start. But if you
gracefully restart a server that takes this long to parse configuration, is
there be any downtime while the parent parses the configuration, or does it
continue to hand requests out to the (soon to be) previous generation of
children while parsing?

I have my own "magic" vhosting setup that I'm just about to take live on
some new larger server where I just automatically write out all my
configuration, including a whole bunch of <VirtualHost> sections... one for
each domain. I don't want to change the right now setup, so if I run into
any problems I guess I can just run multiple Apache severs per box. But
that's annoying.

But I'm still very interested in this setup. I really like not having to HUP
apache for each new account.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services