httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Harris" <>
Subject standard virtual hosting.. how good?
Date Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:50:38 GMT

Okey dokey. I read the mass virtual hosting documentation and I understand
what's going on. My question now is, how good is the standard virtual

Is the lookup from ipaddr (or name) to virtual host configuration handled
internally in some way that does not bog down if I throw, say, five hundred
virtual hosts or a thousand at it? I guess that's basically asking if the
lookup is hashed. Another consideration might be the size of the internal
configuration structures in apache.

I guess another concern is file descriptors for the logging, but I can
handle that by having everyone log to the same file and splitting from
there... that's a standard trick.

Anyone have experience with running mass standard virtual hosting?

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services

View raw message