httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <l...@apache.org>
Subject RE: apache 1.3.6 cygwin port integration
Date Sat, 15 May 1999 15:17:12 GMT
According to Stipe Tolj:

>  we -- the Cygwin Porting Project -- would like to add our Apache 1.3.6
>  port to the Cygwin b20.x environment to the official Apache
>  distribution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your port uses the cygwin library
(rsp. is linked against this library) it _must_ be distributed under
the GPL. This is a problem, because Apache has its own license which
is not 'compatible' with GPL. In other words, we cannot incorporate a
patch/port which is covered by the GPL...

If the cygwin license terms only apply to binary releases which
include the cygwin library it is probably possible to add your
port to our source distribution (comments?).
But if you distribute binaries of your port under the name 'Apache'
you either violate the GPL license or the Apache license.

[...]
>  We have posted a "request for change" to the bug tracking DB a couple of
>  months ago, but the request still remains "open". That's why we try to
>  contact any responsible Apache Group contributor by this mail. Sorry if
>  this is somewhat non-relevant for you, but the contributor's page on
>  apache.org could not provide any responsible person for integration of
>  new system ports.

The best forum for your request is our development list
'new-httpd@apache.org' (see http://dev.apache.org/ for details).

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht            - Imagination is the one weapon in the war
lars@hyperreal.org           - against reality. (Jules de Gaultier)