httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <>
Subject Re: redirect in post-read phase
Date Wed, 19 May 1999 05:43:38 GMT
On 18 May 1999 wrote:

> Consulting the index, _Writing Apache Modules with C and Perl, 1st ed._
> covers the post-read phase on pages 72, 332, and 512. There is never really
> any mention of what can and can't be done in this phase.
> For example, on page 332:

true, it never says what can and can't be done, but the key word that is
used more than once is "initialize":
"The I<post_read_request> phase is a handy place to initialize
per-request data that will be available to other handlers in the
request chain. Because of its usefulness as an initialize ..."

and, the example modules discussed, mod_unique_id, mod_setenvif, etc.,
have nothing todo with a direct response the client.

if you read on to the description of header parser, it starts to talk
about doing what you want to do:
"... to take special action, perhaps altering the headers on the fly (as
we will do below to create an anonymous proxy server), or blocking
unwanted transactions at an early stage. ..."

View raw message