httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@tdiinc.com
Subject Re: [Fwd: Embeddable Apache]
Date Wed, 05 May 1999 20:47:15 GMT

>    Is it possible to embed the APACHE server into another
> application (on, say, LINUX) ?

In some special conditions, it is.

With apache-apr and some changes ( i.e. some "static" methods exported),
you can initialize Apache and run it in a normal application. This works
only in "one process/multiple threads" model ( multiprocess mode is much
more complex).

You can use all the apache functions and most of modules, and also you can
have custom modules to call your application specific methods.

In my "experiment", I loaded Apache from a Java application and I was able
to use it ( as an embeded web server ). ( I was also able to have a
special module doing calls back to Java code). I know many people have
problems with Java ( licence, speed, etc) - but it was an usefull
experiment.

I don't have too much time right now, but I hope to be able to upload my
code someday if you want to take a look.

( the good news with apr is that the new code structure helps a lot and
many "private" methods are exposed, so the patch I have to apply to
apache-apr gets smaller ).

Regards,
Costin