httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt ...@ct.heise.de>
Subject Re: Bad apache performance with linux-SMP
Date Thu, 20 May 1999 04:46:48 GMT
On Wed, 19 May 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Upgrade to 2.2.9 or later, and do this when configuring apache:

Thanks for your comments.

FYI: I received a patch for tcp.c in the linux kernel which changes the
results dramatically. It does an unlock_kernel() before and a
lock_kernel() after the copy_and_checksum-Routine. This avoids the
serialization at this point.
As a result I got almost the same performance with 4 CPUs as with one
(which is reasonable, because the load is not enough for more than one CPU
-- the NT/IIS-results are similar).

Have a look at the thread in the linux-kernel list.

bye, juergen

Juergen Schmidt   Redakteur/editor  c't magazin      PGP-Key available
Verlag Heinz Heise GmbH & Co KG, Helstorferstr. 7, D-30625 Hannover
EMail: ju@ct.heise.de - Tel.: +49 511 5352 300 - FAX: +49 511 5352 417