httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: ap_ vs apr_ revisited.
Date Wed, 19 May 1999 18:25:27 GMT

> The function of APR is to provide a platform independent
> threading framework for us.  It is a proven fact that
> this does not require forcing all modules to rewrite.
> We proved that on the NT where we already have theading.

NO!  The function of APR is to provide a platform independant framework
for us.  Minor difference, but the fact is, APR is providing a lot more
than threading.  File I/O, Network I/O, all the things that require
platforms like Windows to have different code paths than Unix.  APR is a
way to get all of our platforms using the same path through the Apache
code.

This does require a re-write of modules.  Module writers cannot use an int
for file's that Apache has any access to.  Apache won't know how to deal
with an int as a file.  Modules will have to use apr_file_t's.  The port
to a threaded server (i.e.: Windows) is not a good analogy.  A much better
analogy is a port to nspr.  If you look at the modules in the nspr
repository, they have been re-written to take advantage of nspr.  I don't
know if that was because they had to be, or because it was the easiest way
to make them cross-platform, but I would bet they had to be re-written.

No, this is a vote for do you want two different projects to be in the
same namespace.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd