httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: APR: directory API
Date Sat, 15 May 1999 06:54:23 GMT

Doesn't this break the whole idea of a PORTABLE run-time?  I thought the
goal was to allow somebody to write code on one system and run it just
about anywhere.  There are definite improvements to the code I committed.
I'll get to them.  Having feature only macros puts the responsibility for
porting code on the programer instead of on apr.

We can define those macros for programmers who want to get better
performance out of different systems, but I hesitate to provide an API
that is only available on a subset of the platforms apr supports.  The
ONLY API currently in APR that is not cross-platform is apr_fork, and that
is only there because Apache requires it, and it is un-reproducable on
Windows.

Ryan