httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <unkn...@riverstyx.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Get rid of most accept mutex calls on hybrid server.
Date Sat, 08 May 1999 02:10:26 GMT
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> Well, that's what HARD_SERVER_LIMIT is set to now, but it was just a
> random setting that sounded good. Could we ever want to run with just
> a few threads per process and a lot of processes? If so, I guess we
> could make accept locking depend on the number of processes, or make
> it user configurable.
>
> We also still have to retain the accept mutex for systems which croak
> when accept isn't serialized.

Well, conventional wisdom from those running Netscape Enterprise server
holds that 32 threads/process is good, but I've been told that 16 is
better. If you figure 900 concurrent connections, that's about 30-60
processes.  I don't have any idea why one would want to lower the number
of threads though, and 32 sounds pretty reasonable to me.  Does anyone
have any idea what good numbers for Apache would be, and why they might
differ from Netscape Server?

> --
> Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com - http://www.io.com/~manojk/
> "Would you die for The One?"
> "I wouldn't get pizza for the one. That ain't my job." - J.M. Straczynski

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet